January 17, 2014

Fancy Butterfly Card

I've wanted to do some more complicated cards but didn't have time before - or during - the holidays. So I manufactured some extra time for crafting and came up with this window card.

I wanted to use the 'Verdant' stamp from Penny Black and my new Cheery Lynn butterfly dies.

I started the card by die cutting the base card and then die cutting the insert (Spellbinders Radiant Rectangles).  I then needed another double die I could use for the 'window'.  I picked out JustRite's Nested Oval Medallion dies for that.  I inked the area between the dies so there would be some distinction for my frame.

Then I marked off where my frame would go on the card and masked the outside so I could stamp the leaves a few times.  I used black and grey inks for that.

I die cut a Spellbinder's vine to cross the window and give my butterfly something to sit on.  For the butterfly I die cut an outline and a detail.  The outline I coloured with metallic gelatos then layered the detail die cut on top (you can't see it, but the shimmery gelatos come through the holes on the top butterfly).

Here's the finished card:
 

1 comment:

Shona said...

Lovely! This is very well done with a beautiful design!